Friday, March 30, 2012

olap and hierarchy problem

Hi.
This is an OLAP question.

I have a dimension which is a father-son dimension.
I built the cube in analysis server.
In the analysis browser I can see the dimension fine,

I hant my reporting services report to show that dimension.
The problem is that the report won't show me that dimension in hierarchy tree (even if I check drill down) but flatten it down.

Does some one know if report service can handle those kind of reports?

Thanks.I assume the dimension is a parent-child dimension. RS is not an OLAP browser. As you have noticed, it flattens the parent-child dimenion. In this presentation download, you will find two approaches for dealing with parent-child dimensions in RS. The first one uses the RS recursive support. The second bypasses the SSAS 2005 provider in order to use straight MDX to expand the hierarchy. Needless to say, both approaches have their limitations and we can expect the support of parent-child dimensions and UDM in general to improve in future releases.|||Hi Teo,
Thanks for your replay, Its hard to find help and support for Olap and for Olap and SSRS on the net.

Its very disappointing to hear that RS does not support OLAP (and for me, if it can't handle parent-child dimension it can't handle olap).

Looks like we will have to use some other programs for working with cubes and creating reports.

Thanks for your post and I will have a look at the link you supplied to check if by any chance there is a way to work with parent-child with out any work arounds.

Regards,
Roy.|||Just to clarify. I didn't say it doesn't support OLAP. I said that it flattens the parent-child hierachies when converting them to two-dimensional datasets.|||I know you didn't - I did ("and for me, if it can't handle

parent-child dimension it can't handle olap").

I think Its a must when working with olap.

Thank for the reply :)
|||

How would you go about using OLAP with SSRS?

Do you purchase OLAP?

I've seen it used, but I know little to nothing about it.

|||You can build OLAP solutions (cubes) with analysis services and then deploy the cube to the analysis server.

After that you can create a report and as a data source tell him to connect to the cube on the analysis server.

But as you can see, reporting services can really work with olap :(

No comments:

Post a Comment