Wednesday, March 28, 2012

OK to delete sql2ksp3 folder after install?

I'm desperate for room on my "C" drive at the moment
I've installed the SP3 for SQL Server 2000. Is it OK to remove the sql2ksp3 folder from my C drive now
(and even though this is off topic, does anyone know how to increase the size of the "C" partition on W2K AS
I have 2 18GB drives in a RAID1 config. They are basic disks and are going to stay that way. The system i
running in production mode, and between Dell, MSFT, and 2 partition tools I cannot seem to find anyone wh
can give me an authoritative 'yes' and how to do it. They all just want to point to the other guys and have m
get the answer there.
Thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can provide
randyRandy,
Yes you should be able to remove that folder. As for increasing the
partition that's probably not an option. If it's a Raid 1 and you created
it initially with all the space in the primary partition you have no room to
grow. Can you be more specific as to where you need the room etc?
--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP
"randyvol" <randy.volters@.whaleyfoodservice.com> wrote in message
news:B5439337-990F-4542-8EC9-FF41701FDFFB@.microsoft.com...
> I'm desperate for room on my "C" drive at the moment.
> I've installed the SP3 for SQL Server 2000. Is it OK to remove the
sql2ksp3 folder from my C drive now?
> (and even though this is off topic, does anyone know how to increase the
size of the "C" partition on W2K AS?
> I have 2 18GB drives in a RAID1 config. They are basic disks and are
going to stay that way. The system is
> running in production mode, and between Dell, MSFT, and 2 partition tools
I cannot seem to find anyone who
> can give me an authoritative 'yes' and how to do it. They all just want
to point to the other guys and have me
> get the answer there.)
> Thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can provide.
> randy|||Hi Randy,
Thanks for using the newsgroup.
Yes, you could remove the sql2ksp3 folder because it is just a folder for
install files.
As for the question space of your windows 2000 advanced server, we do have
related newsgroup and you could ask your question at:
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?
dg=microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
OR
News:microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
Our related engineers there will help you with this issue.
Thanks.
Best regards
Baisong Wei
Microsoft Online Support
----
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.|||Thanks Andres and Baisong -
I'll check out the other group for my partition question
Just to close it out here, I do have more room available. The two disks in the RAID are both 18Giggers. So, I have
approx. 12 GB of unallocated space just beyond the initial 4GB "C" drive partition. Why not just create a "D" partition
Well, we are holding out the possibility of rebuilding our cluster, and the other server was just redone - however, this time
with a little more help from Dell using Server Asst. we got the full use of the drive. So I'm trying to do this one the same
At this point I'm pretty much resigned to having to blow this one away as soon as we have the other server up
Why do we need that big a "C" drive? Well besides having paid for the storage and wanting to use it, believe it o
not there are still companies (like AVAYA) that build applications that MUST be put in the C drive's programs folder
ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. ;-
Thanks again.|||Just FYI, it helps if you supply all the information to get correct
responses for your issue. You did not initially mention the drives only
had 4GB out of 18GB partitioned. That kind of information goes a long way.
--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP
"randyvol" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5572D410-FF1B-43D9-BD01-EF04388DB162@.microsoft.com...
> Thanks Andres and Baisong -
> I'll check out the other group for my partition question.
> Just to close it out here, I do have more room available. The two disks
in the RAID are both 18Giggers. So, I have
> approx. 12 GB of unallocated space just beyond the initial 4GB "C" drive
partition. Why not just create a "D" partition?
> Well, we are holding out the possibility of rebuilding our cluster, and
the other server was just redone - however, this time
> with a little more help from Dell using Server Asst. we got the full use
of the drive. So I'm trying to do this one the same.
> At this point I'm pretty much resigned to having to blow this one away as
soon as we have the other server up.
> Why do we need that big a "C" drive? Well besides having paid for the
storage and wanting to use it, believe it or
> not there are still companies (like AVAYA) that build applications that
MUST be put in the C drive's programs folder.
> ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. ;-)
> Thanks again.|||Since you say that they are basic disks and not dynamic, Partition Magic
should be able to resize the 4 gig partitions.
David Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment