Friday, March 30, 2012

OLAP Administrators issue

Hi,

I moved my AS 2000 olap database to new hardware also new OS WS 2003 32 bit to 64 bit.

I added domain/loging ID of sql server/job server to "OLAP Administrators" user group

which runs the DTS package to process cubes. This was fine in my old server OS WS 2003 32 bit.

But in new server WS 2003 64 bit cube process failed because job server was not able to connect to AS server.

I had to add job server's domain\login ID to "Administrators" user group in new server and then I was able to process the cube.

I don't want to give administrator access to job server to my olap server is this some thing I can do or missing?

Thank you - Ashok

Here is some information for you from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/anservog.mspx

Take a look at the Administrator Security section there.

In general, DSO that client application like Analysis Manager, or DTS task based upon tries couple of things.

One, it remotely accesses registry on server machine and reads RemoteRepositoryConnectionString http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330244

Then it uses it to open AS2000 repository.

Try and see at what point DSO running under user account with fewer privileges fails to acces information it needs.

Edward.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment