Saturday, February 25, 2012

ODBC problems

I have next to no experience with databases, so please bear with me. We have an application that requires setting up a system DSN with a SQL Server driver. I am able to do so on one computer. When I go to another I start the process to add the DSN, I type in the server name and then I have to select the default database on that server. In the dropdown list of databases, only 5 or 6 appear... none of which is the one that I need. I am going through the same steps on each computer and do not know why it would not be recognizing it. Does anyone have any ideas?By the way, I have SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003. All machines are Windows XP with Windows firewall disabled.|||More than likely it is a permissions issue. You would have to grant access to the target database for the login that you are using.

In Enterprise Manager, expand the server node, expand the security node, click on the logins node. In the right-hand pane, select the login you are using and double click. On the database access tab, check the databases to which the login will have access. Also check the db_owner item in the right-hand pane**.

** Note that this is a BAD practice. However, you are indicating that you have no db experience and this will ensure that you get your users up and running quickly with minimal issues which good security can sometimes cause. You are essentially exposing your data to the user community and they may be able to update, delete data or even whole tables with the db_owner permission. Read up on user security and tighten the security back down when you understand better what your user requirements are.

Regards,

hmscott

No comments:

Post a Comment