Saturday, February 25, 2012

ODBC Newbie needs help

Hello all,
I have a Surviellance Incident reporting program with a SQL *Server
2000
backend and I want to have a Access 2000 front end. My boss *wants me
to
use ODBC to connect to the SQL backend. I set up the ODBC da*ta source

but I have no idea how to connect to it using ODBC. The lite*rature
i've
read is not clear. Do I need to write code for this or is it* a
setting
in the Access 2000 front end? My Access 2000 front end will *include
forms for users to enter data, reports based on stored prodc*edures.
Just getting me started a huge help. Thank youOn 2/1/05 12:07 PM, in article
1107276885.472781.237470@.z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com, "ndn_24_7"
<ndn_24_7@.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a Surviellance Incident reporting program with a SQL *Server
> 2000
> backend and I want to have a Access 2000 front end. My boss *wants me
> to
> use ODBC to connect to the SQL backend. I set up the ODBC da*ta source
> but I have no idea how to connect to it using ODBC. The lite*rature
> i've
> read is not clear. Do I need to write code for this or is it* a
> setting
> in the Access 2000 front end? My Access 2000 front end will *include
> forms for users to enter data, reports based on stored prodc*edures.
> Just getting me started a huge help. Thank you

Simply link to the tables within Access 2000 and use them as if they were
local.

If I remember right: Right-click on the area where the tables would be
listed and select Link Tables. When the dialog pops up select Files of type:
ODBC Database. If you do not have a DSN created now would be the time to do
it. Select the DSN. Select the tables to include and a series of dialogs
will appear that you will identify primary key fields.

If your SQL database ever changes (schema) you will need to update te links
in Access by using the Linked Table Manager.

-Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment