Monday, February 20, 2012

ODBC Linked Server Security Problem - Anybody?

Hi all,
I'll provide as much detail as I can. I have read many messages
regarding this topic, but I just can't seem to follow them in my
specific case. Sorry I'm so dumb...
Here goes:
1) I have a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 installed in mixed mode (NT
security plus standard SQL security). I don't know much about NT
security as I've never used it in connection with SQL Server.
2) I have set up a linked server called Max which uses the provider
OLEDB for ODBC.
3) I have a system DSN set up on the SQL Server to point to my ODBC
data source (A Maximizer CRM ODBC Driver, but I don't think this is
important)
4) On the security tab of the linked server, I have selected: For a
login not defined in the list above, connections will be made using
this security context. Below that, I specified the user ID and
password. The top box (server login mappings) is empty. Basically, I
want any user who runs a query to the linked server to use the user ID
and password I specified in the box below. No restrictions (at least
until I understand the security model a lot better than I do now)
So far, so good. I log in using a query tool using the standard SQL
Security ID I want to be using for this task in production later and
execute my stored procedure. Everything works. My stored procedure
connects to my remote (linked) server and does exactly what it should
do. No security issues at all...
So, I set up a "job" to run that stored procedure at certain times of
the day. That job fails every time. The error is:
"Executed as user: REPL Access to the remote server is denied because
the current securty context is not trusted.[SQLSTATE 42000] ERROR:
15274 The step failed."
By the way, REPL is the standard SQL Server security user ID I want
this job to run as. I know I must be very close to getting this to
work, but as I read the articles from Microsoft, my eyes just glaze
over and I start looking for coffee...
In your reply, please be very specific. If I need to do something to
my NT Security or something like that, please try to provide the
steps...
Also, I should tell you that I do not have a Windows 2000 or Windows
Server 2003 domain. I do have a PDC (Primary domain controller)
running on a Windows NT 4.0 Server. (On a side note, I would be happy
to upgrade my PDC to my Windows 2003 R2 server, but I don't know how to
do that either)
Anyone want to help out a dummy?
Thanks in advance!
-Rick
datamovr at yahoo dot comOne thing I forgot to mention, the job fails at exactly the point in
the stored procedure where it tries to insert a row into a linked
server table. This is the only line in the code that connects to the
linked server. The error I'm getting is certainly related to the
linked server.

No comments:

Post a Comment