Monday, February 20, 2012

ODBC link and viewonly

Hi,
I have a prod database (main bread & bread DB) and have a small access
database that sales team is using... I created a login inside SQL 2000
and gave db_read permission and SELECT permissions... and public.
Role of public is EXEC store procs and view some systables...
I linked those tables that I gave permissions through ODBC link into
access db with the user that I created inside SQL as readonly user...
but to my surprise when I ran a insert query from access on SQL
tables... I was able to update and insert data... if my ODBC link is
only for readonly.. why was I able to unpdate & insert data into SQL
table?
I don't want to give write/update/insert permissions for SQL tables to
sales team... or anyone outside SQL 2000 server DB.
Is there any easy way to create viewonly users inside SQL?
I created users like this: security -> logins -> new login...
select none serverrole.. db access (bread & butter DB)
Thank you,
hj
******
Pardon my English...I posted this message in this group too...
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...c24fc65a5f400c7
Hitesh wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a prod database (main bread & bread DB) and have a small access
> database that sales team is using... I created a login inside SQL 2000
> and gave db_read permission and SELECT permissions... and public.
> Role of public is EXEC store procs and view some systables...
> I linked those tables that I gave permissions through ODBC link into
> access db with the user that I created inside SQL as readonly user...
> but to my surprise when I ran a insert query from access on SQL
> tables... I was able to update and insert data... if my ODBC link is
> only for readonly.. why was I able to unpdate & insert data into SQL
> table?
> I don't want to give write/update/insert permissions for SQL tables to
> sales team... or anyone outside SQL 2000 server DB.
> Is there any easy way to create viewonly users inside SQL?
> I created users like this: security -> logins -> new login...
> select none serverrole.. db access (bread & butter DB)
>
> Thank you,
> hj
>
> ******
> Pardon my English...|||I think I figured this one out.. give db_denywrite permission for the
db I want to give readonly..
ty
Hitesh wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> I posted this message in this group too...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp...c24fc65a5f400c7
>
> Hitesh wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment