Monday, February 20, 2012

ODBC From Access to SQL Connection Wizard will not come up.

When I choose ODBC from the link tables wizard it just disapears. No error message at all just poof. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Preston,

What you has described looks like you can not open ODB Data source Administrator.

Can you try the following to see if it works.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188691(SQL.90).aspx.

If the above link does not work, can you describe more about what configurations you did to your machine recently, such as installations?

|||

Thanks Nan,

I can create and change data sources from the admin section. I can also access those sources from other programs such as DAP. For some reason only in access does this happen. When I choose ODBC from the file type drop down in access it just disapears no hour glass no error nothing. I haven't really installed any new programs other then updates to windows ect. I'm also not sure when it started. I had to add a new table in SQL and when I tried to access it from the app in access i found this.

I am wondering if Access needs to be re-installed or if a update from Microsoft is causing this strange behavior.

Preston

|||We are having the same problem. Multiple computers. Access will no longer link ODBC and we can't get to our SQL Servers. Something has changed recently but I am not sure when.|||

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=161918&SiteID=1

This guy solved the problem. Turned Norton off and the connection works. He says its the Office Plugin.

|||

I just tested this with Access 2003 and everything worked fine for me, I can link ODBC tables including SQL Server fine. Note my configuration is:

1. Microsoft Access 2003

2. Windows XP SP2 with latest security patches (including recent MDAC patch).

I would post to the Microsoft Access newsgroups to see if they have heard of anything recent.

|||

Matt, the problem was solved by Robert Beaubien in another forum as I noted above. The problem occurs when Turn Office Plug-in On is checked in Norton Antivirus 2006. I recently upgraded to Norton 2006. I turned that option off, restarted it and Access and the ODBC connections work fine. I don't know how Robert discovered this solution but he does good work.

Troy

|||

Thanks all,

Turning off the office plugin did it. go to proformance then to spyware then to configure then to misc and uncheck the box.

Preston

|||

Add ODBCAD32.exe to Norton Internet Security 2007 personal firewall list - program control.

It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment